About Me

My photo
An outgoing, outspoken, culinary chap who craves to know more!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cayman Islands 2011, Day 1

The first day of this trip actually started in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Having to work till 9pm that Friday, by the time I was able to to finish packing my scuba gear (which I had to pick up by 7pm!), it was encroaching on midnight. Still, with my gear packed and the stress of the work week beginning to subside, I drove to the airport Hilton and Caymans 2011 officially began.


Fast forward through the 4 hours of sleep that I was afforded at the hotel. Checking luggage was uneventful - thankfully my dive bag was under the 50lbs! - and I even had some time to grab a coffee from bean and leaf. Then my day took a nice turn for the better, and my upgrade went through. Soon, I was sitting in first class on my way south to the paradise.


Just my luck, my upgraded seat put me right next to one of the cuter gals. Once the crew had told us all to put away electronic devices, I decide to be bold and chat with her. Turns out she is from Midland, and a junior in high school (damn!). She is big into volleyball, and really wants to play for Air Force (as well as become a pilot). Just a neat little story, and it gets better! 


Next thing I know, 2 of her friends came up to chat (both attractive as well I might add). Turns out one wants to go to Michigan, while the other (the more attractive of course) wants to attend MSU! Combine this with a few rum and diets, and next thing you know Havana is at our six, and we are landing into sunny Georgetown, Grand Cayman.


Zipped through immigration with a breeze, and after collecting our luggage, we headed to Dollar rent-a-car. Our hoopty for the week is a "spacious" Toyota Corolla. At least it was a right-side drive vehicle. Speaking of driving on the right side of the road; I really do enjoy driving like the British. I also like navigating traffic circles! I think the key is to not get intimidated. Anyways, I took driving duty and soon pulled up to the condo. Home (away from home) at last!


Mom and I are actually splitting the condo with her cousin Bill, and his wife Nancy. They have actually been coming down here for 23 years, and usually come down the week before to stay two weeks. They are also both divers, and have dove around the world, yet found the Caymans to be worth coming back to. They certainly got Mom hooked on this place, and me into diving.


Moving on, the rest of the day consisted of unpacking, enjoying the beach, and relaxing. Temperatures were in the mid-to-high 80s, sunny, with a wafting breeze. The day seemed to fly by - probably because I was working on 4 hours of sleep - and next thing I am heading up for bed. James, our dive master, is going to pick us up at the beach at 8am. Since I hate diving groggy, I set my alarm for 6am. And on that note, time for bed. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment