About Me

My photo
An outgoing, outspoken, culinary chap who craves to know more!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Happenings at Chez Bart

So today one of my objectives was to purchase a new cookbook for the Chez Bart library. Lately, I have been either grabbing recipes from Food Network, or using ones from my two Italian cookbooks by Giada de Laurentiis. I probably spent over an hour perusing the cookbooks at my local Barnes & Noble. In fact, it is really the only reason why I go to brick and mortar bookstores. It is very nice being able to actually look at the recipes, thereby making a judgement whether there are enough to satisfy the price of the book.

So there I was, flipping through cookbooks by many different authors. I spent considerable time leafing through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa line of cookbooks; just to name a few. In the end, I settled on Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home

I found ad Hoc to be the best fit for Chez Bart. It provided not just excellent - not to mention realistic (more on that later) - recipes, but also has sections devoted to teaching culinary techniques and skills. The recipes are also realistic for someone like me: 26 year old single male living in a decent-at-best apartment equipped with crap appliances and lame Cuisinart cookware. 

Thus, I don't want a cookbook whose recipes feature relatively hard to find ingredients, employ very sophisticated cooking and preparation techniques; and I don't want every end product to be something so fancy that I have to start dishing out Michelin stars to my apartment door. Usually, these are the "Restaurant" Cookbooks: Keller's French Laundry & Bouchon, Mario Battali's Babbo, Michael Chiarello's Bottega; and are full of recipes that require truffles and squid in its own ink. No thanks.

Contrast this with Ad Hoc: the first recipe I flipped to was crab cakes. There is a recipe for Beef Stroganoff. Hamburgers! There are also pages on how to properly deep fry, trussing and cutting a chicken, proper cooking utensils, etc. It just seemed so perfect!

So get ready for a few new dishes down the pike here at Chez Bart!

No comments:

Post a Comment