About Me

My photo
An outgoing, outspoken, culinary chap who craves to know more!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Retroactive Blogging: Italy 2010, Day 2

Day 2Firenze, IT
Friday, October 2, 2010 at 4:35pm



Wow! It's amazing what 8 hours of sleep can do. This morning I woke refreashed and ready to tackle the day. Now if only my luggage situation would work out!

The day started out quite well, guzzling cup after cup of Italian coffee. Maybe they roast their beans with crack, because that was some of the best joe I have ever had!

After breakfast, the gang went outside to meet up with Sylvio - our guide. He is a very elegant silver fox of a gent, with decent English and a great sense of humor. He, with driver Carlo (think Scott Baio as Chachi), took us out to the southern Tuscan countryside.

The sojourn started with a stop in a little village situated on a mountain pass. Very scenic and quaint. From there, we continued on to Poppi to visit a castle once owned by the Guida family. It had a little museum, and I got my daily workout in climbing the bell tower. Just great!

Then, being around noon, it was time to head very deep into the Tuscan countryside, 10 minutes past some twn via one lane road, to a small family Pechorinno Romano producer. There, the family showed us how they make their cheese, sampled some, and then had us over for a splendid lunch. Que bello!

After stuffing ourselves to the gills with potato and cheese stuffed pasta, salad, and select cuts of ham and sausage, we drove to another castle that had been turned into a private residence. It must have cost a fortune! We got the chance to head to the top for some great photo ops! After the castle, we decided to call it fini for the day. We will see Sylvio tomorrow.

Back in Firenze, I took it upon myself to acquire some cuban cigars. In the process, I got lost twice - these streets are so narrow, and the names are so ubiquidess - just turned me around in circles! I did manage to buy some stogies, and after I stopped at a cafe for an Italian beer while writing postcards. Our luggage also made it back. Thank God!

Dinner tonight was kind of a letdown. Sylvio provided us with a place he highly recomended. So we went there, only to find out we needed reservations. So we ended up settling for a place that turned out to be not as good. I had the Gnocchi al pesto and some grilled beef strips over rucola with a light balsamic drizzle. The group split a bottle of Chianti Classico a la Fazzoro, 2006.

Now it's time to kick back, relax, and enjoy one of my cigars. More to come tomorrow. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment